Sunday, March 13, 2011

KAIA

Well so far the business trip to Kabul is going fine. It took a while to get here, with delays every where (11pm flight our of one place was delayed to 0230), the the next day's 0900 (had to be there are 0600) was delayed until 1400. I did get the chance to stay at the berthing cans at Leathernext for a 3 hour nap. Glad I do not live in those. I think a lot of the senior officers have their own, but still.

So after a roughly hour C-130 flight we arrived. They got us staged in "transient billeting" at the base around KAIA (Kabul Airport). I believe this is where ISAF NATO headquarters are. There are every NATO country military walking around.

Had lunch with some Greeks whose english was good, breakfast with some Czeck's whose english was not too good (granted my Czeck is terrible). The chow hall is similar to the Marine chowhalls, but just slightly different. Same as European food is similar to American, but slightly different. There were just slight differences, like the cereal was in tubes to scoope while our chow halls had the cereal in bowls ready to add milk (plenty of lucky charms and fruit loops, yeah). The salad bars have feta and olives and for breakfast there is Golden Syrup rather than Maple Syrup. But all in all the food at both places is of sufficient quality and quantity. The bases I am at are not places to start a diet. There was a turkish restaurant on base that we ate at, but really not as good as the chow hall. There is a Pizza hut that we might grab a small from tonight.

They have a little bazaar at the base that we visited, good stuff, great pictures. There are also PXs for Germans, Italians and Americans. Lots of stuff you don't need, but fun to check out.

We are off to another place tomorrow some where in the greater Kabul area, just not sure. Just rolling with it.


2 comments:

Harry Jilson said...

It sounds as if you are eating your way through Afghanistan..It is great stuff to read.I am sure it's not all peaches and cream but you are to be commended for making it sound so! love dad

Harry Jilson said...

Because my mac doesn't show the whole screen I didn't notice the photos.I finally saw them. I loved the ones of you in the Karsai had and the Gadafi wrap! I got a kick out of the Kabul Golf club shirt too! :):)