Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Catching up

The boys had springbreak last week. We ended up going to Wendy's parents house in Butler PA for the easter weekend. Then on Monday Tristan, Wendy and I drove to Lansing MI to do a campus vist at Michigan State for Tristan.  Tristan is interested in working at a zoo and pre-vet programs.
Mich State is high on the lists for best zoology programs. It also participates i n the Yellow Ribbon program, which knocks  out of state tuition to in state rates for Veterens and their qualifying dependents.  I have the post 9-11 GI bill which covers three years of in state tuition and allowance for room and board for myself or I can pass to a dependent. Many schools participate in the Yellow Ribbon, but some limit the number enrolled or don't knock tuitions all the way to in state rates. Mich State is unlimited and unlimited
On Monday afternoon we visited with a rep from the College of Ag and Livestock. Tristan got a good summary of this program and matched what he read and percieved it to be. We also did some self guided campus touring,  as this was springbreak for many, the lead tours were filled up. In the evening we took the daughter of one of my senior Marines who I went to Afghan. With oit to dinner. She is a freshmen and provided a good insider look. On Tuesday morning we meet with an advisor/professor from the Zoology department.  He was a bit quarky but did a great job describing the range of Zoology as well as aspect of being a scientist,  the need to be a good writer, to read and read and question. He also talked about persuing  the field to also allow it to be interesting and provide a living for yourself.
All in all a great first campis visit. Don't think we will get to  another campus this spring. We asked Tristan but he did not want to miss any school or work (he is a motivator)  I think other schools on his list are Cornell, Miami University on Ohio and Virginia Tech. I think he is also trying tp find a school in the south especcially after how cold it was in Michigan.
About two more months of school and then he will be off to Italy for 10 days.

No comments: