Monday, November 21, 2005

Alumni Weekend

Wendy and I ran off to Annapolis this weekend for my the class of 1995's 10th reunion. We planned with weekend with Kurt Janke and his wife Crystal. We stayed the night at His sponsors Bill and Sandy. They live in an amazing house right outside Gate 3. They are a great couple who were wonderful hosts. We went to the game with them and out to dinner that night. There was also another couple staying at the house Ed and Carol Kelly.

At the game there was an end zone pavilion that hosted the class. We were able to catch up with a lot of old friends. We saw Ray Lipsky and his fiancee. It was great to see him after he had been blowing us off for so long. It got to the point where I called his parents to tell him to call us, but he still didn't. So we gave him an earful. Wendy and Lisa (I could be wrong on the name) hit it off well. Saw Dave Bassett who actually flew one of the jets (F-18s) over the stadium for the fly by and then came to the game.

I am terrible with names, but other guys were as well and we greeted each other telling our names first. So that worked well. It worked out well until I saw an old girl friend of a buddy of mine who I knew well while at the academy. I went up to her and said "Hi" and sorry but I forgot her name. She was visibly offended and said "Come on?". I felt bad, but I had not thought of her in 10 years. Just funny.

We also noticed that the seats had names on them from donors and we sat in my sponsor's seat Roy C. Smith III from the class of 34. He passed away a couple of years ago. It was a little small world/coincidence. We have not talked to Ms. Smith in over a year and felt bad we did not make the effort to see her while we were there and worse when we saw the names on the seats.

We took the boys to see Harry Potter when we got back. I thought it was horrible. Some amazing scenes, but it just was too hard to follow. I imagine if I had read the book things would have been more clear. But reading the book should not be mandatory for seeing the movie. The kids were not impressed either. Tristan fell asleep during it and Ayden would not sit still and indication that he was not into it. He was better in the Sponge Bob Square pants movie that I thought was equally painful to sit through.

We are off to Butler, PA for thanksgiving. We will probably leave on Wed night. The traffic traveling west from our place is usually not bad on holidays. It is traveling North or South that will add hours to the trip.

No comments: